Monday, February 27, 2006

Pasta in Vodka Cream Sauce



I got this recipe from All Recipes.com and made it this weekend. The color is a little off-putting because it looks like Campbell's Tomato Soup. But it is a nice change from regular marinara sauce.

Penne in Vodka Cream

1 pound penne pasta (or whatever tube shaped pasta you have on hand)
1/2 cup butter (yes - one WHOLE stick!)
3/4 cup vodka
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
8 ounces tomato sauce
1/2 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 cup heavy cream (I used half and half)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
(I also added frozen Italian meatballs and some fresh mushrooms I needed to use)

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and reserve.

2. In a large saucepan melt butter over medium low heat; add vodka, red pepper flakes and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well and simmer for 5 minutes.

3. Blend in tomato sauce, tomato paste and cream; increase heat to bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce has slightly thickened; season with salt and pepper to taste. (This is where I threw in the meatballs and mushrooms.)

4. Reduce heat to very low and stir in cheese; add cooked pasta and more cheese if desired.

Serves 6.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sally,

The colour is most definitely NOT offputting! I love pasta with vodka sauce. I make it often and the version you made is very similar to the version I made.

My mouth is watering looking at your photo.

When are you going to stop living the lie that you don't cook??? I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!!!

:o)

Sally said...

I didn't say I didn't cook! I said I was a simple cook. I'm not anywhere near your league - cooking, writing or photography.

Anonymous said...

Hallo Sally,
Your net corener is very nice. I am the first time here and I am sure I visit you more often now.
Pasta in Vodka Cream Sauce sounds great :o)). I have to cook these dish.

Sally said...

Hello Ala -

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a nice comment. Hope you come again soon.

Hi Empress -

Thank you for the nice comment. It WAS very good! LOL Loved your blog. People like you and Ivonne and Kate and Elise and Biggles all inspire me. Thank you.

Sally