Monday, June 12, 2006

Scotcheroos


I'd never even heard of these bars before I moved to West Bend. To me bars have always seemed like a lazy cook's cop-out for making cookies. However, this past Friday was the Chamber's annual Fireworks Golf Tournament to raise money to buy fireworks for our 4th of July celebration. Of course our office was on the committee, which meant I had to make a salad and a pan of bars to take to the club for the golfers' meal. Now I understand the reasoning behind this "bar" phenomenon - they're fast and easy to throw together. You don't have to waste time baking batch after batch of cookies. And they're transported to the event in the pan they're cooked in. Can't get better than that! (In other words, I've learned what thousands of harried working mothers have known for a long time.)

I figured this might be a good time to try something out of our new Sesqui cookbook so I chose Scotcheroos. If you like to eat Rice Krispie bars and a Hershey bar at the same time, these puppies are for you.

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
1 cup light Karo syrup
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
6 cups Rice Krispies
1 (6 oz.) pkg. chocolate chips
1 (6 oz.) pkg. butterscotch chips

Melt sugar and syrup together, add peanut butter and butter. Barely bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add Rice Krispies, mix well and press into a 9 x 13 inch pan. Melt chips together and spread over top.

Pretty simple, really. By the way - the salad got eaten but these came back home. Something about beer and bars just doesn't seem to mix. Luckily kids absolutely LOVE these things, so the grandson is happy. I now have half a bag of generic "crispy rice cereal" to use up but I am definitely not making any more bars! Well... at least not until the next fundraiser.

No comments: