Tuesday, April 04, 2006
Free Form Apple Pie
Inspired by Ivonne’s Apple Crostata, and because I had three Braeburn apples to use up, I decided to make my own version of free-form apple pie. I think I’ll call it:
Sally’s Free Form Apple Pie
- Apples (I had three Braeburns)
- Pre-formed pie crust (I had one of the Pillsbury ready made pie crusts left over from my chicken pot pie the other day. What the heck – it was better than I could have made.)
- Flour (about 2 or 3 tablespoons)
- White sugar (about 2 or 3 tablespoons, depending on how sour your apples are)
- Brown sugar (about a tablespoon)
- Salt (a pinch)
- Cinnamon (about 2 teaspoons)
- Allspice (about 1 teaspoon - I didn’t have apple pie spice or I would have used that)
- Nuts (about a handful, chopped – I thought I grabbed the walnuts from the freezer but got the pecans instead. It was still good.)
- Raisins (about a handful - because Q wasn't here, and I could)
- Butter (about half a stick, cut up and scattered over the top of the filling)
Line a baking sheet with tin foil, spray it with Pam and unroll your pie crust on that. Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl (except the butter) and spoon onto the crust. Put the butter slices on top. Bring the sides up together as close as you can. I did use an egg wash because I wanted the crust to stick together, but I imagine a little water would do the same thing. Then I brushed the rest of the pie with the egg wash.
Cook in a 350 degree F oven for about an hour or until the crust is browned nicely.
Man! Was this sucker good! DH is already begging me for another. I think I want to make something chocolate next though. Anyway, this couldn’t be easier. I hope you give it a try.
Sorry I don't have an image of the finished product. In an effort to try and take better pictures, I turned off the flash and just tried using natural light. Therefore the picture didn't come out as it was dark by the time we ate it. Some day I'm going to learn how to use this camera!