Saturday, April 05, 2008

Why Do I Blog?

(Originally written and published on MySpace, Sunday, March 16, 2008.)

If you’ve read my profile at all, you’ve seen that I have a blog called Tip of the Iceberg and that I mostly just read blogs. Food blogs are some of my favorite reads but I also have gardening blogs, tech blogs, photography blogs and scrapping blogs that I visit every day to discover what new and interesting thing I might learn from these talented and tireless people.

When I started blogging I tended to stay more centered on food, but as summer came on I found myself writing about my garden and yard. Then, when we did some remodeling, I photographed each change and wrote about it. When we went to a party or had a fundraiser in town, I would photograph that as well and write a bit about it.

Then there were the posts about my childhood - growing up in a small town in Iowa. I think, somewhere in the back of my mind, I was writing for my children to understand who I was and where I was coming from. Life experiences shape every one of us and I wanted to tell someone about mine. Or maybe I just want to remind myself who I am.

Now it appears I’m at a crossroads. I’m not certain which direction I want my blog to go. My "voice" has almost been silenced. What do I want to write about? How personal do I want to be? Will I offend anyone if I write something too personal?

Blogging has brought me friends from around the world. People whom I never would have known except through our writing. These people are unique and wonderful in their own way and my life would somehow be less if I couldn’t see and interact with them daily.

I read a site called BlogHer that is a collaboration of many women bloggers writing about women’s issues of today. Jennifer Satterwhite wrote a post called "Blogging Life’s Harsh Family Realities" on Saturday because it was her eighth anniversary of being drug free. She ended her post with the following:

"The bottom line is blogging has power. A mighty strong power. Blogging connects people. We can find others who get where we have been, where we are and where we are going. And that is vital at certain times in our lives. So, bloggers, it is okay to bare your soul. Some of us need it. Most of us admire it. And there are even a few of us who are counting on it."

I hope she’s right.

(Edit: Link to BlogHer fixed. I can't find the Satterwhite post to link to it. Sorry!)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sally, What a nice post. I'm kind of at a similar crossroads; my previous blog was very focused, but I feel I've lost a bit of direction at the moment with the current blog. I actually feel okay about that; it gives me pause to think about what I want to do. I say go with your gut. Be yourself. Your groovy self.

Sally said...

My "groovy self"?!? LOL Thanks Mari. You're kind of groovy too.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Very nice post Sally, just talk about what you are thinking about on any particular day. I think a woman's blog would be great.........maybe you should take us there.

Peace, Love and Grooviness :)

Sally said...

There already IS one Jenny! Follow the "Blogher" link Jenny. I read it every day - well *most* of it. Some outstanding women bloggers there.

A wildlife gardener said...

I think we do get to know each other through our blogs, though it's only when someone asks me to do a meme that other bloggers feel they get to know more about me.
Perhaps there is an element of truth in that.

I think it's because I'm writing about the garden and how it has been created for wildlife, but my philosophy comes into the work; family and friends who have influenced me and led me to this point in my life and my love of all things wild...plants as well as birds and animals.

All the things you have mentioned about yourself have been in your blog telling us of your interests in cooking, local events you are involved in, and your family too :)

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Off to check out the link, Sally! I will read it and be back :).

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Sally, the BlogHer link is disabled.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

It is hard to not get carried away with blogging. It's easy to loose your identity.
I try to keep it real... without inviting y'all into my everyday. The kitchen is close enough!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Sometimes I think I know the power of blogging and then it surprises me again. I guess my basic feeling here is the blogs I read are just real people trying to be who they are and not something else. It just seems good to know there is good and kindness in the world.

Stacey said...

I love your blog sally! If you need to get personal in it, well your blog is your creation and sometimes getting personal is what you need to do. If you need understanding, to vent, to get feedback, to just talk, well, that is what your friends are for.
I for one am blogging my medical journey, as you know, but I find blogs such as your own fun. I get recipes, keep up to date on my friends, and hear stories of people finding treasure in the strangest of places.
I say just write what you feel like writing about when you sit down at the computer. The blog is your playground, so play it up. lol