Monday, February 19, 2007

Peek-a-Boo!

I see you! Growing among the other herbs. When I brought my herbs in this fall I also potted up a clump of chives to use this winter. But, alas! They didn't survive. Or so I thought! I almost chocked on my coffee this morning as I was staring out the window when I saw this ->

I knew chives were hard to kill, but this really surprised me. I guess it just wanted to "rest" for four or five months before presenting me with this baby. Isn't it cute?

In another couple of months the parent plant will be sending up new shoots. But this baby is going to stay right on my window sill. The parsley, basil, sage and rosemary will be planted back in the garden to grow and prosper. But I think I'll keep this plant in its pot. By next winter it will have filled the pot and I'll have fresh chives all winter long.

On another note.... today it got up to 38 degrees F.!!! It's hard to believe that one week ago it was -9 degrees with a wind chill of -28! Ah, Iowa - gotta love it! I guess the groundhog got it right this year. Spring is in the air!

3 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Herbs are so wonderful and most don't really take much care. Many really like a bit of neglect.

Sally said...

Hi Tanna - I know, thank God! Anything and everything I grow (inside or out) must thrive on neglect or it dies a pitiful death. LOL

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Spring was in the air but winter had to remind us that he was not gone for the year.........lol........