Tuesday, September 01, 2009

40th Class Reunion

Last month I returned to Onawa for my 40th high school class reunion. It's almost unbelievable that it's been 40 years since I went through the hell known as "high school". Strangely, it was soothing to be able to visit with people I hadn't spoken to, or even thought about, since 1969. It was good to see that the years hadn't really changed them all that much. Through all the love and hate; births and deaths; the achievements and set-backs; the sorrow and joy of living for 50 some-odd years, they were still the kids I knew way back when. There were the nerds, the partiers, the goofballs and the watchers all laughing and crying and talking at once. It was almost too much to take in.

My class was defined by the war in Viet Nam, hippies, sex, drugs and rock and roll. We questioned everything - and every one. Especially authority. We were wild and wildly inspired. We partied hard and studied harder. We were driven to greatness by our need to change the world. And we succeeded. Boy! Did we succeed.

Our class produced engineers, artists, entrepreneurs, nurses, college professors, teachers (ho-boy, were there teachers!), business owners and even an admiral (ret.) in the navy. We've traveled the world and now we're home again. Mostly retired, but still active in the every day business of making this world a better place.

I had an epiphany during this weekend. These people were my friends - had always been my friends. They'd been there for me, even through all the angst of teenage yearnings and fears. They knew me and accepted me for what I was and what I've become. That's one of the good things about attending a small school. You literally know everyone in your class - there is no hiding in a sea of nameless faces, known only to your clique. All your classmates know your good points, and your bad. But it's nice to know that they still liked me even then.

Here's some of the pictures taken during that weekend. Enjoy!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: 40th Class Reunion
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

3 comments:

mari said...

Sally! Where have you been?!? I've never gone to a reunion. Either I've been too afraid, or, I've been unable to go. But I think I'll start soon. Enough time has elapsed. People have got to have interesting stories now...

Sally said...

Hey Mari! I've been busy this summer. But I've been thinking about you and those fires. I hope you are OK.

Absolutely go to your reunion! This one was waaaaaaay more fun than my 25th or 10th. We had so much fun, we're planning a get-together next year.

Unknown said...

I went to my 40th this weekend and I swear I will never go to another one ever. The "cool kids" still pretty much ignored those of us who were studious or nerdy. The women held up well and were friendly and cordial to one another, but the men were another story. Many of the nicest people never showed up.

Your reunion looks as if it was held at a school - which I kind of like. Ours was at a restaurant and the drinkers are still drinkers. Big disappointment.