Sunday, March 19, 2006

Irish Soda Bread


Yesterday I fixed my St. Patty's Day corned beef and cabbage and I wanted to do something "new" to go with it. So I decided to make Irish soda bread. It's been a loooooong time since I've baked anything; and an even longer time since I've made bread. I don't count the bread machine bread because I'm not really "making" it. But this recipe is so simple and so good I just had to share it.

Irish Soda Bread

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 pint sour cream
1 cup raisins

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease two 8x4 inch loaf pans.

2. Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, sour cream and raisins and mix until just combined. Distribute batter evenly between the two pans.

3. Bake loaves at 325 degrees F for 1 hour.

That's it. Simple and tasty. Oh, and for a great corned beef, try putting it in the crock pot with about a cup of brown sugar on it and pour a Michelob Amber Bock over all. Let it cook for about 7 hrs. on low and it just falls apart. Great flavor too. I hope you give these two recipes a try.

Enjoy!

No comments: